Psychiatry is defined as the branch of medicine that concerns the diagnosis and treatment of mental, emotional and behavioral disorders, including mood disorders, schizophrenia anxiety disorders, somatoform disorders, dissociative disorders, sexual dysfunctions, eating disorders, sleep disorders, psychosomatic disorders and personality disorders. Today, a wide variety of treatment strategies are used in psychiatry to combat many different psychological disorders. Psychiatry may involve chemical or psychological treatment, or a combination of the two. The Department of Psychiatry at Belhoul Speciality Hospital is manned by an internationally trained, multidisciplinary team, who provide the following special services:
- Stress management and assertiveness training.
- Relapse prevention programme for alcohol, nicotine and other narcotic substances.Relationship enhancement programme.
- Schizophrenia support and Cancer support service.
- Treatment and assessment of acute and chronic psychiatric disorders, Childhood and Geriatric psychiatric disorders
- Substance abuse and marital counseling.