Over the centuries, medical science has been oriented towards structure in the investigation, diagnosis and management and treatment of disease. Nuclear Medicine is a unique specialty wherein the physiological functions and biochemical pathways and metabolism can be seen and imaged. The optimal utilization of the nuclear medicine services is considered the standard of modern medical practice and an index of the quality of patient care.
Nuclear Medicine uses small amounts of radioactive materials for the investigation, diagnosis and treatment of a variety of disease. Generally, no special preparation is required. Nuclear Medicine procedures are among the safest diagnostic imaging examinations available. In fact, the amount of radiation from a nuclear medicine procedure is comparable to, or often times less than, that of a diagnostic x-ray.
The Belhoul Speciality Hospital Nuclear Medicine Department is equipped with state-of-the-art, hitech SPECT Gamma Camera.
SCOPE OF NUCLEAR MEDICINE
- In-vitro Investigations: Radio Immuno Assay : Thyroid Function Tests
- In-vivitro Investigations : Estimation of RBC, plasma and blood volumes, Schilling test, Dicopac test, Cr-51 in-vitro labelled RBC
- DIAGNOSTIC IMAGING SERVICES : all the organs, systems, compartments Whole body Iodine scintigraphy,Thyroid scintigraphy, Parathyroid scintigraphy, Adrenal Scintigraphy,Skeletal scintigraphy
- Regional cerebral blood flow scintigraphy : Brain SPECT
- Stress and rest myocardial perfusion scintigraphy
- Lung perfusion-ventillation scintigraphy
- Reticulo-endothelial system : liver-spleen imaging
- Hepatobiliary imaging
- Renal cortical scintigraphy
- Renography, Diuretic and Captopril renography
- Direct radionuclide voiding cystography
- Gastrointestinal bleeding scintigraphy
- Breast imaging
- Ga-67 scintigraphy
- WBC scintigraphy, Leucoscan
- CEA Scan, Ovarian cancer/colorectal/prostate cancer imaging